PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 8
Thread: MANCHESTER - 8
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2011, 20:36
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MUFC_fan,

No doubt the transfer with BA via T5 *can* be a positive alternative compared to JFK/PHL. But this is based upon the experience of facilities within the shiny new T5 building. The reason I avoid the LHR connection is the unreliable record of the connecting flights themselves, not the attractive ambience of the departure lounge. LHR's fully subscribed runways have no margin for reduced traffic rates. And when there is a forecast of weather issues, industrial action, or just about any other problem you can think of ... be assured that it will be the MAN-LHR Shuttles which get it in the neck.

Now I know that there are many apologists on here who will suggest that it is better to cancel MAN flights rather than those serving destinations further afield. Well, that argument has been done here before so I won't labour the issues. Suffice to say that if you are the customer whose cruise ship from Miami left without them, will it comfort you to be told that BA maintained the full schedule to XYZ instead of MAN? If you are the NW-based business executive who misses that vital contract meeting in HKG because the MAN Shuttle was scrubbed, will it comfort you to know that BA prioritized the connection of your continental competitor at your expense?

When cancellations hit, BA has demonstrated a policy of not sharing the pain around. To cancel some MAN shuttles is understandable ... to scrub the lot en bloc is unreasonable. The excuse that [the world's most expensive per mile] walk-up fares are available on the train via Euston doesn't cut it. Apart from the cost issue, your connecting flight is likely to be long gone by the time you reach LHR.

So no matter how nice T5's passenger facilities are, as long as the MAN Shuttle remains the first choice fallguy for LHR's widely-recognized runway capacity issues, it will be more reliable hubs for my bookings please. MAN customers pay just as much for reliable travel arrangements as everybody else. The importance of their journeys should be afforded equal recognition and respect.

Regards. SHED.