PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of low time pilots slammed
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2011, 14:43
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can teach most people to fly a 320/737 or similar when they have just passed out of a 200 hr CPL course. To date, the majority 200 hour pilots that I've flown with are pretty (very) reasonable pilots but are often, not surprisingly, poor operators. That only really comes with experience. So if I were to kick the bucket in flight, they would safely land somewhere but might choose an airport without a towbar and still park in a push back stand. Although inconvenient to the company it would be safe. Quite legitimately they could put command time in their logbook but most importantly, the flight would have a "safe" conclusion.

To me what is really worrying are the terms and conditions of these 200 hour guys. How are they living? Are they sleeping in tents or the back of their cars? Do they have second jobs to help with their loan repayments? These are things that should really worry the SLF. Because the guy to turns up unfit for work, he is a danger to everyone around. And even worse are the morals of their senior colleagues who allow this to happen. They are the real scumbags! And I've seen it myself. I've personally experienced the senior guys, in return for an additional increments, voting for 2nd and 3rd rate terms for their junior colleagues.