PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yet another AW139 tail incident at Gulf helis
Old 5th May 2011, 18:33
Chi Sin Gei Si

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It must have gone through everyone's mind to make a link between GH and SS (HK). Indeed, a blade departing SSH due to some defective part, would be a tidy explanation. At least better than the bird strike theory.

Let's hope the investigators look carefully into that link, to see if there is a trend to watch for in the components.

At the same time, let's hope that the investigators resist the urge to get sidetracked by such 'obvious' links, which might cause them to miss something else more crucial. This is a danger when two incidents with similar symptoms happen. Until they find evidence of the link then, its only speculative. It could be that both incidents were totally unrelated.

At least with GH, they have all the parts, possibly video replay or eyewitnesses. Unlike HK when they really didn't have much to go on, and the critical part (a blade) is presumably lost forever. (Though it would make a lovely sampan paddle should a fisherman should trawl it up and stick it on the end of a bamboo pole. We should keep an eye out; it may turn up yet.)

I think if I had a choice I will stick with the in-field helicopters, the Bell Choppers are not getting to much bad press.
The lion always gets the lion's share of bad press.
CSGS