PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 5th May 2011, 12:09
Betty girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

GofE,

I understand everything you say and when you compare me not having a hat with the wages and tiredness that M/F crew are enduring, you are right, it pales into insignificance.

I have for a long time posted on here, saying how wrong your wages are and you will find that all WW and E/F crew are shocked that BA has set the level so low.

I truly hope it all improves for you all in the future because, long term, BA won't have happy and productive crew if they are poor and jet lagged.

I know what doing longhaul is like, and I was often tired and that was working to the WW agreement!! So all of us are very sad that you are working to this contract and most of us with any intelligent can see that none of you could have realised how bad it was going to be, pay wise. After all, you were being told it would be market rate plus 10% and we all know that, that is not true!

I am just sad about how BA has managed to make us feel different to each other and the hat is a visible symbol of that. I don't begrudge you all having the hat because it does look lovely on most of you, did see a sight this morning but that's by the by!! I have been in BA for quite some time and worn a hat in the past, a big panama one, that really did mess up your hair, so yes I understand what you are saying with regard to that. I do think it looks nice and I would not object to wearing it but likewise I don't mind not wearing it, it is more the fact that it separates us out from each other that I find upsetting.

So yes GofE, I am very lucky to have joined BA, when I did.

The other thing that I would like to point out is that for a London based job most cabin crew still earn an average wage for living and working in the London and home counties area. These huge salaries that people keep on quoting are the salaries of a very few WW CSDs that are at the top of their pay scale and may well have a 'mate' in scheduling!!!!

Most current cabin crew earn a very normal wage, enough to live in this area and pay for child care and a mortgage etc. I am a separated mum and I live in Maidenhead and I certainly don't have an extravagant lifestyle and I get help from my ex partner to pay my bills.

So I just can't understand how BA feel the wages you are earning is ever going to be enough!

I really wish you luck GofE and I hope these things get sorted out for you and you get to earn a decent wage or you find a better job that you enjoy just as much.

Good luck and you are right, my worry over a little hat is nothing compared to how you all are being treated by the employer I have always loved and been proud of.

Take care.