PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Side Slipping
Thread: Side Slipping
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2002, 17:54
knobbygb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was taught to slip very early on in my training, probably due to one of our runways having extremley tight circuits due to villages and a MATZ and inexperienced studes always ending up too high. Did one on my own for the first time the other day (pa.28 - full flaps). It makes me a bit nervous as I'm still not quite sure of how to spot any symptoms if it's about to go wrong. I'm aware that I must only do it to the left (right rudder) so that the pitot tube isn't sheilded and that the ASI will still over-read. Any more tips?

My compulsion when doing PFL's is that, in the real situation I'd much rather be too high and have to slip than be too low and, well..... Never really get to practice this on a PFL due to not really wanting to lose that much height, but I think I'd always end up too high in the real situation and would want to have practiced slipping.

Interestingley, at my club, one particular instructor is very keen on the manouver, another is quite happy to use it, while others shy away from it when I ask, saying that I'll be taught more about it later in the course. I was always under the impression it was part of the JAA syllabus. Am I wrong?