PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF A330 severe hard landing ccs
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2011, 07:07
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dear Lemurian,
You seem to be blinded by the bashing some expressed on this forum against your employer, and the critical comments or “lessons” as you call them, from colleagues and peers. Do not mix the 2.

I never intended to ” bash AF” as you said here . This was the first airline I flew in when I was 10 years old ( in a Super G ) and I still have all the Dinky toys metal model airplanes of that era on my cupboard. I love that airline for its past and its history ,therefore basically I am a strong critic of what I see now, what its senior management , its internal Unions fighting, and some of its crews have done with it.

I am not here to give “ lessons” to anyone. My past job was ( and still is part time today) dealing with safety , although applied to ATM not Airline Flight operations. Part of my his job consist of finding ,eliminating or mitigating the few remaining holes in various latent layers in order to have ZERO accident. You can only do that if you have an open incident reporting culture and a management behind you that will implement what you propose, and take care the consequences .Since a few years budget/costs has become a major constraint we cannot ignore, but human mitigation is still possible.

The “ Colin report” ordered by AF was a very important step in identifying the layers, the holes and was a good base in determining a corrective action/process. We all applauded this report at the time if I remember correctly. But what happened next ? Why is AF still in the news with incidents ( and all the others that do not make the media ) that are showing the same old pattern ?

I am aware that AF management is” trying to do something “ but what I see and read ( from the outside) is rather a defensive approach aimed at keeping the load factors and not upsetting the Unions, rather than a radical deep will to turn things around. You have the inside knowledge, tell me I am wrong please.

Also please stop mentioning ever and ever how other airlines have similar incidents and are treated better. Yes everyone has incidents, how you deal with them is the issue in this thread (CCS) . Comparing BA 777/Heathrow and Toronto will not get you any sympathy here. Maybe in a pub in France , but not here.

Bons vols et bien Cordialement.