PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Salamanca Puma Crash Site Memorial
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2011, 18:41
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
1 tell me the rules on night flights at the time
I was in Belize in the spring of 1976 and 1977 and I was unaware of any restrictions on night flying with the Puma. Most of the night flying was training with a fair amount of Night Vision equipment which would have been somewhere in the sticks. Looking through my log book there were a few daily tasks that overan and so the return to Airport Camp was at night. As an example of there being no restrictions at night one trip I did was to bring the Combined Services Entertainment troupe back from Salamanca to Belize late at night after their show.
The night medivacs I did at night to and from Salamanca and San Pedro were tasked medivac flights so they did not come under training.
The AAC would not have been willing to fly over the jungle on one engine though we used to do it in Borneo with Whirlwinds. One Scout did do a night trip however; I brought it back underslung from San Antonio after a No 5 seal failure.

2 was Colin on operations and active services
There was not a campaign medal awarded for the Belize operation. The Guatamalans were confronted to prevent tham taking over the country. There were no direct military operations so there was no war. Much the same way, except on a smaller scale, as the Cold War.

5th May; I have looked at the Elizabeth Medal website and it does not seem that they are qualified. It's a pity; I knew Rog Whiteley when he was an AEO on my Valiant Squadron.

Last edited by Fareastdriver; 5th May 2011 at 19:21.