PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qf LAME EBA Negotiations Begin
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:00
Ngineer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I would imagine that if QF ever send their aircraft to that facility then they will have a very large oversight team attending as well. The main role of the oversight team is to ensure a quality product.
Interesting point. I had a tour of a similar operation a few years back. There was 1, (yes only 1 LAE with his category lic) from that MRO certifying for the QF aircraft in the hangar and for the people working on it. He was also certifying for another 2 aircraft parked in the same hangar. He was a very busy boy, and had a mop in his a$$ cleaning the floors as well. The people working on the aircraft were not LAE's, in fact it was hard to distinguish their exact qualifications. This is not an opinion, just what I saw. And yes I did note that there were QF engineers there. I believe that their role was not for certification, rather to make sure that documentation was handled correctly and to supply technical/logistical support as requested by the MRO. (Though I stand to be corrected if that was not the case). They were also very busy.

The main role of the MRO is to supply a quality product, not the oversight team.

Now compare this (in direct contrast) to how Sydney Heavy operated. Numerous Licensed Aircraft Engineers working on the same aircraft. Numerous tradesmen and apprentices being trained. Alot of talent, albiet a more expensive option. Yet people still ignore all of these factors as having any real impact to our impeccable safety record, or quality of aircraft in that era. Having seen some third party work coming through H245, I can personally say from experience that some older aircraft from other operators came in as heaps of junk. They were not the quality we were used to working on, and hadn't been maintained to our standards.

Our past management destroyed all of this because, very basically, they had no clue about our work, quality or product. Totally understandable considering they are controlling a maintenace operation whilst having zero maintenace experience.