PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So where are all the jobs then?
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2011, 05:19
captainsuperstorm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you want fly in africa, tanzania,you have to know that 200-300h is not enough nowadays.
their minimum are actually around 2000h and this is to apply only. It doesn't mean you will get the job, but immigration & CAA will grant you a work permit & validation if you have their minimum.

I can tell you, there is noway to make your hours as there are not many jobs floating around. If there is a job available, you are very lucky, or you know someone.
Just applying, sending your CV after reading ads in newspaper is not enough, as 500 pilots are applying to the same job.
Pretty much if you see an ad looking for pilots, you are waisting your time as you will always find someone who has more experience than you.or you will find a pilot who is ready to pay more than you to fly a few hours.

The only way to get a job, is to know a friend who work for a company, or having a girlfriend who dad is the boss, or open your own company.

In my point of view, this market is saturated with low hours pilots, and the future doesn't sound very bright.Look at the last 20 years, training has always become more expensive, salaries are lower and lower to the point pilots now pay to work, fuel is more expensive and employees are treated like ****.

Actually nothing is showing a change in this trend.Degradation will be worse and worse. Sorry to not sound very rosy, but this is the hard reality of this profession, Ok, who is the next one willing to spend lot of money in a useless training to play the pilot with ray-ban and golden strips an with no real job at the end?. who 's next? after10 years, you will have flown maybe 300 hours, make some quids, and thats all. you will finish with no real profession at 40 living with dady and mommy , blaming the worldwide economy...do something else, for Pete' sake!!!

even if you land a job on Boeing, it' s not going to be enough to fly an airbus or any jet as most operator ask for 500h on type before getting the job. So if you are lucky , by example you land a job on a caravan or dash, or whatever..., you make your 500h on caravan, and then they kick you out or company close , where do you go then? fly a caravan all your life in the middle of the jungle, how do you go on jet if you have not jet experience?no multi pilot experience.
At the end, this profession become so limited than anyone trying to fly for a living will finish stuck in the rat race.

I am a captain, can not find a job, license older than 3 months old and I have to spend a fortune just to apply!!! and what I get in return, **** salary? bad T&C
see?I am stuck too!

Last edited by captainsuperstorm; 6th May 2011 at 06:36.