PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fakers, fakers everywhere!
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2011, 05:18
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Very true Top Tup. Some countries have corruption so ingrained in their culture that it seems the system is beyond hope. But in many places where the system does single out the frauds and punish them, there are still those who will escape the regualtion. That is where it's down to us, the honest pilots to do something about it. As a result of my post on this thread, I received a PM from an Italian pilot saying that he hadn't falsified his hours (I don't doubt that) and in his defence stated knew pilots flying for another airline (not Italian) who had. My reply to him was that he should report them if he knew this to be true. By accepting the fact that they had defrauded the system he was compliant in their deceipt. Our industry depends on the honesty of the pilots for it's integrity. Our customers lives depend on our skill and standards. Anything less than complete integrity is simply not acceptable.

Even the regulatory authorities who act don't go far enough. I mentioned the case of a pilot who fabricated a fictional RAF career in the country of my origianl licence issue - the UK. He was prosecuted, but still allowed to fly and later becmae a Captain with another airline. In my book, anyone who displays such a lack of integrity should not be allowed to hold such a position of authority again. He should have been excluded from holding a licence ever again in my opinion.

And some countries seem to making a concerted effort. In China, where corruption is common, there was a recent fatal accident of a regional jet. The investigation discovered the Captain had falsified his hours. Perhaps his lack of experience was a factor when he decided to continue the non-precision approach below the published minima and then crash, but the authorities investigated many pilots and found many others who had padded their hours. They have shown a willingness to act and thier action should improve the image of the aviation industry in that country.

Airlines should be on top of this problem as well. The possiblity of having an insurance claim invalidated because a pilot wasn't properly qualified shoud motivate them!

Those who have read Enest Gann's book 'Fate is the Hunter' may recall he mentioned a pilot who seemed to be not what he claimed. Despite mnay reservations, he was allowed to continue flying and later, Gann expressed regret at not acting when he later heard the pilot had crashed and killed many passengers.

Don't put yourself in that position. 'Out' any frauds you discover.