PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can I afford to buy an aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2011, 03:06
AN2 Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks guys, it is looking as though my finances are limiting to a group share.
why? with your budget, as I told you before, there are plenty of IFR airplanes around, unless you really want the new and shiny. and especcially after what you say, business trips and weekends away, I'd do the utmost to have my OWN plane as opposed to fighting for every flight within a share. Unless you are real good friends who wish to go fly together or plan trips that way, I'd try to go on your own, with possible renters if that is allowed.

Just have a look on the Internet, there are some sites like Planecheck or Avbuyer, where you can have a browse and see what's there. Alone on planecheck I found 2 IFR Arrows in the UK the last time I wrote to you, both significantly under your budget.

@Oliver

I hear you.

Even when (Ex-) close friends start a fractional ownership it is not so seldom that they end up at court. My impression is also that it is considerably more difficult to sell a share than a complete aircraft.
Both, yes. To bring up the analogy, just think for a moment what kind of aggravation only shared houses bring, at least in our part of the world... or the typical rabbitcage style housing estates. The courts are full of fighting neighbours and ex shareholders in all sorts of enterprises.

Frankly, for me it became very clear very soon: Either I can afford to own alone or I'll refrain. Sure glad I didn't.

No matter if it makes "sense" to own from the financial point of view - as soon as I find the aircraft which am looking for, I'm going to purchase it. Alone. Without any partners.
One only lives once. And I can see enough grumps around who will draw the line at the fall of life and muse over missed chances. Financial sense is one of the killer arguments of such people, and look where it got them. Of course, one has to be prudent and has to be able to afford any sport or recreation one chooses, but if so, there are not many viable reasons to hide under a bench while those faint of heart hide under the benches.

What I might however consider is to rent it to pilots who I personally know.
that is what I do and it works out well.

Best regards
AN2 driver