PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fakers, fakers everywhere!
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2011, 18:41
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
If people actually took time to read and understand what I have been saying and control their emotions, they may realise that I wasn't slagging off Italians but using the Italian license to demonstrate that a few who defraud the system can ruin it for the majority of honest people. I'm sure there are other nations who have the same problem - I can relate directly to Italy due to my knowlegde of one case. I used the example of my brother in law who was in fear of his job during one of Alitalia's troubled times and was looking for another job, just in case. He asked me to submit his CV as he was type rated on our aircraft. For some reason, my company won't look at the holders of Italian licences - he himself admitted it may be due to the problems with hours fraud. It may not be going on now, but it had been in the past - and as a result, he was excluded. The issue may well be over - but the reputation has stuck.

I know other airlines employ Italians - I know one of the Italians in CX. My company employed one Italian who held another nations licence (he's left now) - the problem wasn't with Italians but Italian issued licences. My company also didn't employ Americans until recently. When it advertises jobs, it gets thousands of applicants. It has the right to chose who it wants and in the initial sifting of CVs, it discards based on preferences, policy, politics and prejudices - just as any airline does.

The problem here is that someone thinks that Italian licences have been devalued by the fraudsters. Other countries qualifications have as well - I wouldn't want to be an Indian licence holder looking for work as an expat right now. The UK has had examples of pilot frauds and China has recently uncovered many falsified logbooks after it was discoverd that a Captain involved in a recent fatal crash had padded his hours. Policing is not just down to the authorities - it's everyone's responsibility. If you know of someone who is defrauding the sytem, you not only owe it to yourself to expose them, you also owe it to their passengers.