PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are so many EK FO's failing the upgrade interviews?
Old 1st May 2011, 14:05
TangoUniform

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of things. The fuel letters have raised their nasty little heads again. When one gets a letter stating you are carrying more fuel on the last ten sectors than your contempories......intimidating maybe? In years and years and years of flying and several companies, NEVER have I seen such a letter to any captain. I have eyeballed two letters recently. Does that set up a little intimidation when firsts see captains making judgement calls and get one could be construed as a mild threat. OBTW, one letter was for carrying 600kgs over the contempories, on average.

Can anyone tell me why a HR representative, who has probably never sat in a cockpit, never mind a sim., can have the ability to fail a candidate in their interview.

You guys may think there is no built in prejudice towards pilots from the lands of salsa and tango, but just ask around. Not making excuses for poor performance, but if there is a perception of such.....Well how does that not contibute towards paranoia. And if you think the flying around that part of the world is easy, I dare say you haven't flown into airports with elevations from 8000ft to 12000ft, through TRWs daily, temps 40plus, lousy ATC. I have more respect for those gentlemen and ladies and what their careers have been thus far than most of the "first" world laddies that show up here.

And Pool (excellent post), the gentlemen that failed his sim because of the runway....he didn't even get airbourne before the TRx failed him. Game over. Maybe more to the story, maybe two hours into the sim and still not airbourne, but because of the atmosphere here, many believe it on face value. "Yeah, I can believe that."

One question, ask around. How many guys have you flown with who never had received a failure of any sort in their 10,000 plus hours careers before getting here? I don't see the carnage around the world from where we have received our new joiners in the last 7-8 years.

But interesting thread, nevertheless. Truely exposes the training/checking/intimidating mindset of those driving, checking and "training" around the pit. You guys are using the old pilot error investigating technique. Yep, failed (crashed); obviously an unprepared bad pilot. Some of you gentlemen really need to get your CVs up to date for some management positions. Perfect mindset, the ONLY reason for a failure is an unprepared pilot. The only reason for a crash is a lousy pilot.

And the high speed reject going to IAH? To think they kept those guys under question immediately after the incident for several hours. A first world carrier would have allowed them to go home, catch their breath and come in and "chat" when you are up to it. FACT.

Last edited by TangoUniform; 1st May 2011 at 14:16.