PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are so many EK FO's failing the upgrade interviews?
Old 1st May 2011, 12:53
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jihad Jim

Not sure why you felt the need to have a go, I actually agree with everything you have stated.

The F/O I referred to had no reason to disrespect the new LTC. He was merely pointing out a few 'nuggets' of advice that had been passed on to him during training. Knowing the culture of fear and paranoia that pervades throughout our operation, I can well believe what he said was true. As a good operater himself, with lots of experience, he actually had nothing to prove. I just think he was somewhat disappointed that the new LTC was feeding the fire of paranoia rather than encouraging the behaviour trates that we're all encouraging F/O's (and some Captains) to adopt on this thread, mainly airmanship, good judgement and a large dose of common sense. The rest of the trainers he said, were great.

I do agree with what wet vee two is saying. There are far too many rumours out there with stories being maginifed and distorted as time goes on. I also back up what pool eludes to in that the Company culture impacts on a pilots ability to make sound decisions when there is the fear of tea and biscuits. Is it any wonder then, when you consider that most of our F/O's coming for upgrade have been here approximately 4 years or so. The last three, especially those infamous 3 months after Melbourne, have hardly helped them feel easy about making errors. With everyone watching their backs and ACR's (Arse Covering Reports) replacing ASR's, what kind of culture have they been exposed to throughout that period? The problem lies in that generally, most of this fear is now percieved. (Manchester sackings were a disgrace I know, as was the handling of the other incidents. I'm not saying, however, that I disagreed with all the other outcomes.) We have had several incidents since then in which management have taken a more pragmatic approach and nobody has been fired. It may be naive of me to say, given the national culture of where we operate and who controls us, but it's a step in the right direction and may show the future intent of our Flight Ops in dealing with issues. Only time will tell!

Captains can't afford to make decisions based on fear, especially when this fear is based on perception and rumour. They must use their better judgement to make a decision that is the most sensible at the time. At least you will be around to defend it afterwards.

And, apart from the lack of preparation that Oblaaspop correctly refers to, is perhaps a fundamental reason why guys are failing interviews.

Harry

Last edited by harry the cod; 1st May 2011 at 13:15.