PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are so many EK FO's failing the upgrade interviews?
Old 1st May 2011, 10:06
tatin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oblaas:
All it alludes to is saying that if you put the work in, you will find the actual task much easier
That`s so general,one can only agree with that. it's also the only thing I agree with in your post.
I realise English probably isn't your first language (I least I hope it's not or you are in trouble!)
Condescending, comes from a superiority complex of certain Commonwealth countries. 'There's widespread fog in England, the continent is isolated'.
Thank God it's not my first language.

that regardless of how crap an upgrade candidate is, the likes of KLM/AF/ and LH will force them through a course at all costs which is un-failable?
Ok, this requires some lateral thinking, are you up for that?
The upgrade candidate has jumped through a lot of hoops, except for basic ATPL etc., he has a history in the airline, PPC's exams, the lot. He is known by his records, just as EK has a similar (comprehensive) file about you.
The company doesn't treat him/her with disdain and distrust, but as an asset.
The company has a just (safety) culture. It's not 'my way or the highway' and there is room for criticism and openness.
If this candidate has weaknesses, it has been known for long through thorough and honest training where the trainer supports and implements self-confidence. These first officers have been captains in training whole their careers. There are NO crap candidates.

Ek could learn from that.

First world airline versus third world airline.

Shiftpattern:
you network with other candidates, pull your finger out and study lots,
and
diversity of the EK network you can appreciate that a command here probably requires a bit more work than the 'average' upgrade.
What is an 'average upgrade'?
If you benchmark against which airline why do we have a more extensive network than any other major long haul carrier in the world? EK just recently started flying to South America, a destination the majors already flew to for years. Plus the rest of the world. Don't see why this is used as an argument to 'toughen' an upgrade.
And why is the network with other candidates necessary? Lack of notes and available study material? Lack of communicating priorities versus insignificant details?
Where does this trainer attitude 'let me see what you`ve got' come from? Instead of support and training there`s still a lot of 'grilling' mentality around.