PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are so many EK FO's failing the upgrade interviews?
Old 30th Apr 2011, 16:45
Oblaaspop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe that result is because no one has TAUGHT them what to widen their focus to encompass items and areas beyond that which an FO will typically think about. And because no one has TAUGHT them to make decisions in a more comprehensive fashion than an FO might engage in.
Fack, I can only assume that you have no idea what the NaC course actually comprises? Check out the course footprint and you may be enlightened.

All trainees get a 2 day upgrade LOS workshop course which goes into great detail about developing a workable management model for decision making as well as giving them scenarios to work through in slow time in the classroom to get them thinking along the right lines. Not to mention the fact that ALL F/O's now get Command Development training for 6 sectors a couple of months before upgrade where the instructor also nurtures PSDM and allows them to 'run the show' as far as possible.

Again as I said before, a good trainee will have already spent many months mentally preparing for this and so should not find the course a shock. Its a lot better now than it ever used to be. At least a LOS can be paused to discuss a course of action whereas before you would just be allowed to plough on and c0ck it up! The emphasis actually is on training these days (thanks to MM in no small part), however there are some guys with the wrong attitude and approach that will never succeed regardless of the amount of training on offer......... These are the ones I suggest who continually cry foul!

(Sorry TU, assumed that by the content of your previous posts that you were approaching upgrade, no offence intended, just trying to help guys get their minds focused....... Not sure the Airbus is that far behind the Boeing now with failures as it seem DT is trying to follow in EGT's footsteps!)

Last edited by Oblaaspop; 30th Apr 2011 at 16:55.