PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are so many EK FO's failing the upgrade interviews?
Old 30th Apr 2011, 07:10
falconeasydriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My previous mob (UK) had a fairly sensible approach to the upgrade process i.e they put you forward when you were ready. Hence there was an approx overall 85% first time pass rate, and in the mix the company was and still is very fortunate to have a majority of Commanders who are IMHO above average...based on my exp with EK guys so far.

They also did things a little differently to EK in the sense that the training department was there to TRAIN you rather than catch you out i.e. information and ideas were freely shared in public, and the whole process wasn't a big dark secret based on the KIP principle as it appears to be here. KIP = Knowledge is power

From an F/O's perspective who hopefully has a decent command of the queens English, here are a few comments or observations I've observed from friends/taxi passengers/acquaintances who have been, about too, or are going through the process.

1. Apart from a general process, there appears to be no syllabus for candidates to follow, the guidance that does exist takes the form of gouge (it wouldn't be EK without it would it?) that merely shows candidates how to tick boxes, without ever really helping them understand in an in-depth fashion..what it is they know, they don't know.

2. The Psyche Dept, how did some of the barely sane individuals who inhabit the training dept get through, and I as a normal line pilot with no homicidal or authority issues get the 3rd degree?

3. The line training, why do I get such a vast difference in opinions? and why are they so stingy when it comes to top tips? Everytime I ask a relevant question, it gets used against me as an indicator of the lack of my knowledge/preparation.

4. Being expected to know the OMA inside out, rather than for instance have a thorough working knowledge of the relevant sections/criteria.

No opinion myself of the process or lack of, because quite simply, I haven't been through it, nor will I for some time to come, but interesting on the basis that I've heard these same observations over and over again