PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are so many EK FO's failing the upgrade interviews?
Old 30th Apr 2011, 00:00
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alconguin Crusader

Sorry mate, he's not the problem. The problem lies in the quality and pysche of some of the F/O's coming through. Whilst I genuinely don't know why there's a discrepancy between fleets, SP is fair during interviews. Whatever people may think of him, a fool he is not. He researches all the candidates background and physc results and uses this information to direct his line of questioning. He's very effective at highlighting a weakness which is, after all, what people need to be made aware of. Most guys will get a month or so to prepare before a second interview. Better now than struggle through a course and actually fail 'officially'. Then you only get one more chance! You may be interested to know that the last four guys all passed.

Anyway, when I fly with some guys that have bits of paper for everything, speak poor English, have poor RT, can recite emergency briefs backwards but don't apply them effectively and can't fly the aircraft for toffee, is it any wonder the airline thinks a bit more right seat time is required. Heard about the bunch of Brazillians coming up for upgrade. The ones being 'coached' by a fellow compatriate. The same one who gives them the 'FORDEC' decision making model Funny, I could have sworn EK used Assess, Action, Manage!

We are begining to see the consequences of lower standards and of F/O's flying with paranoid Captains. We will also begin to see the effects of having low experienced training Captains. One recently applied after only 6 months of command time.....his first jet command. I recently flew with a brand new F/O. The new LTC told him never to take his bottle of water off the aircraft as he will get fired, that the A/P should be engaged at 200' and disconnected 'only when landing clearance is received' and don't try to do a CDA in case you get unstable! This F/O and many others are our future Captains. Is this how we are training them?

If so, this airline may be on an insidious slope towards long term damage, both in safety standards and in reputation.

Harry

Last edited by harry the cod; 30th Apr 2011 at 00:10.