PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can I afford to buy an aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2011, 08:11
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Dog Time ?

It would be interesting to take a look at the £70K C182, I would take a guess at the usual combination of two or three of the following items high time engine, high time prop, poor paint, very old avionics, dog eared seats, poor AD recording, out of production wheels & brakes ETC.

Having seen in the past peope spend twice as much on the first annual check as on the cost of the aircraft please don't think that it is a buyers market, it is not, peope are not parting with good aircraft because the market won't pay the real value of them.

For example I could find any number of C152's for under £15K but if I wanted one with a new annual that could go and work for a living I would have to pay over twice that number to get a reliable aircraft that was well sorted.

My advice would be to go for a well equiped fixed gear, fixed prop type because you will get more flying for your money in an aircraft that will be in better condition giving you a lower cost of ownership.

All that having been said a few years back a very good C182RG was on the market for £80K due to the tragic death of the owner and was priced for a quick sale, you could get lucky............ but don't count on it!