PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Doing it Tough ?
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2011, 02:42
Fruet Mich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a real shame that the union issue is not being addressed.

Every time you Qantas guys don't get your way you threaten strike action! Perhaps that's why you scare your customers off and you lose market share? Who wants to fly with an over priced airline flying museum pieces around the skies with staff that are not engaged! You give your customers every excuse to leave for another competitor offering a better product. When you threaten strike action it gives them even more reason to dump their loyalty and leave because at the end of the day they need to be at an appointment/meeting on time safely. They now have more airline choices than ever before all performing with an equal amount of safety as Qantas once had.

Yep, bad management could be to blame or perhaps union demands could be to blame, one way or the other, threatening strike action is most definitely partly to blame for the continue loss of business to the Qantas group. This alienation from management has been built from many years of staunch union demands and bickering. It's a real shame, a real shame.

Right now Qantas is trying to negotiate with Air New Zealand a new contract for ground services. I'd almost bet my left testie that Qantas will lose this to another service provider out of fear because of the bantering of strikes!

Cast your mind back to the last time Qantas engineers striked, you might also remember around that time Qantas engineering lost 60% of their work to another provider. Air New Zealand and Cathay Pacific dumped Qantas because they couldn't work with a group that will strike and threaten their business.

I am most definitely a strong union supporter, but just because you are in negotiations doesn't mean you need to get more out the honey pot. constant demands is not healthy dialogue.

As I've said before, Qantas does not have the monopoly anymore, the more you threaten strike action, the more you alienate yourselves from management and the more you drive your customers away. Every time you hear of strike action in aviation in this country, you can bet your bottom dollar it'll be Qantas!

United we stand! the fall is going to hurt.

You guys are the masters of your own destiny. All the best of luck.