PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates pay rise
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2011, 17:50
TangoUniform

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok Laker, let's get some facts straight. First off, top pay at SWA for a 12 yr capt is 210/hr. with a 78 hour guarantee. Or 16380 a month, 60278 dhs a month. Very nice. OBTW, most junior captain is at 10 years. Five year captain pay (not any at SWA) $194/hr. Still pretty nice. 15132/mo or 55685 dhs. Still nice. But wait, any captain that junior will be on reserve and guarantee is 70 hours I think. But wait again. In that tax bracket you will probably pay close to 50% in taxes considering Fed. taxes, state taxes (not if based in Texas or Fla), Medicare/SS taxes, property taxes, sales taxes and don't think it's going to get better if you make over 250K a year. Won't go there with that. Being an US expat you will stay pay taxes but you will get close to 100K in a tax break. No utility payments here, no mortgage payments here. Don't need to go on, but you're comparing apples and oranges.

Does the T/Cs need to be improved here. Oh hell yes, as they say in Texas. Whose making that 320/hr nowdays. Ohyeah, Delta was before their BK with their huge 777 fleet at the time....6. That didn't last too long.

Sick leave. Individual contracts, and don't know what SWA is, however most is only six months at what was called regular line guarantee and ususally it was 60 hours. Short term then long term disability. Honestly, I will take EKs long term policy. Loss of license....dare you compare any free LOL at any carrier compared to EKs.

So let's say, EK needs huge improvements to attract quality pilots. A real shortage coming up. But comparison is fruitless because of all the differences. My imputed pay here, because of the tax break falls just under what a 12+ year UAL or AA 767 captain makes, taking in just a 22% tax rate of what he receives.

But then again, we are in Dubai, Sandpit, Knotteatingham or whatever you want to call it. Major challenges but find me some 5 yr captain rates or what one would be on at the five year point and then make a comparison. Back into my hole.