PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet New Ab-initio scheme :)
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2011, 11:40
Hezza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to be a member of the camp advocating the cheaper modular route, and even started following that route - upto PPL. However, the simple fact - the fact which you are berating Beazlebub for - is that if you want to fly in the airlines, in the UK, without spending years earning a minimum wage, then you have to join one of the airline cadet schemes, through an integrated school. It's not Beazlebub's deranged and offensive opinion, it's a fact.

From a purely financial stand point the integrated courses are also quite easy to make an argument for. From the date the blue ATPL license is issued [modular pilot] may have saved £50k versus [integrated pilot], but over the next 10 years I would suggest the vast majority, if not all of that difference is made back... [modular pilot] works at his local flying club for 3 years earning almost nothing, before moving (if he gets a lucky break) to the RHS of a turbo-prop. Meanwhile, [integrated pilot] has spent a few years earning a still un-impressive, yet far higher wage, before moving with his 1500hrs to a legacy carrier, or a nice pay scale within his low-cost airline.

For me, the debate is not about how to train - a NZ based integrated course will be receiving my application - but about whether it is all worth it at all!