PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decompression....
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2011, 04:55
3 bladed beast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think most people have a point on here, with various experiences both on Det and also of RSOI. But my original post was to show that there is little flexibility and greater responsibility should rest with Sqn/Regt bosses to decide whether guys need it.

I am out here 3-4 times a year for 6-8 weeks. With the catchall of RSOI ( which sadly has little relevance to the job I do) and now the decompression, they add at least another week to a relatively short det. All in all, it means another 4 weeks away a year, carrying out catchall, arse covering policies when in my very humble opinion, I don't need to do.

Before I get shouted at; I do at least 7 days pre det training, which covers all the good stuff of weapons/mines/100m shoot etc. But on top, we now have to do the RSOI which is aimed at a more 'fresh' recruit. We were told how to open bottles of water, how to set up PT in Fobs, how to wipe our backsides - the list goes on!! All of which had no relevance to my job, or life in Kandahar/Kabul on a main base.

When I return from det, I have a debrief with my Flt Cdr, there is Trim, and we have immense support in Kandahar should we witness anything, feel pressure, have concerns.

This isn't just what some RAF guys think. Having spoken with an Army Colonel, he was also extremely skeptical of the decom; he witnessed many things on his last one, which I wont list on here, but were horrific in nature. On paper, decom is a great idea, BUT for the guys that need it.

All in all, I just think that a greater flexibility would be better suited to both RSOI and Decom to meet the needs of individual units, than a catchall and arse covering exercise, which could be sorted out at unit level.