PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 91 Year Old Spitfire Pilot Needs Your Help
Old 23rd Apr 2011, 16:56
VIProds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alec's Trip To Benson

Just to keep those of you that were following this thread updated. Alec & myself were flown from RAF Waddington to RAF Benson, last Friday. Our pilot Flt Lt G. Pike, kindly took the day off work & his C.O., Wg Cdr A. Pike was happy to carry out some of his duties while he was away. There was a Staff car waiting for us on arrival at Benson. It took us straight to Station Headquarters where the Officer Commanding Base Support Wing, Wg Cdr V. Pike was waiting to greet us at the main entrance, together with the Station Public Relations Officer, N. Pike.

We were in the Wg Cdr's office chatting for about an hour & the Wg Cdr seemed genuinely interested in Alec's experiences during the War. They had arranged for us to go to lunch, but before that Alec had an official photograph taken with the Wg Cdr in front of a blue Photo Reconnaissance Spitfire, displayed outside HQ.

It was arranged that the O.C. 78 Sqdn, Wg Cdr D. Pike (who was Acting Station Commander for the day), would join us for lunch & told us all about his Merlin's. After lunch, we were driven over to 78 Sqdn where the O.C. showed us his Merlin office.

We were then driven to Benson's Museum to meet the Curator, who was very keen to talk with Alec. While there, our pilot for the day recognized a photograph hanging on the wall, of some wartime aircrew planning a mission in the Op's room. He was able to tell the Curator that one of the airmen in the photo was his Uncle & he never returned from that mission.

I think that RAF Benson's personnel really did Alec proud. The present personnel had nothing to do with Alec's missing property & Alec would like to draw a line under it all. I know that he had a fantastic day & really enjoyed himself. I would like to thank our pilot, everyone at Benson for being so caring & everyone on PPRuNe that supported Alec, especially all the pilots that volunteered & were willing to give up their time to fly Alec down to Benson. As I have said on another thread, aren't aviation people a smashing bunch.

Last edited by VIProds; 23rd Apr 2011 at 17:26.