PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qf LAME EBA Negotiations Begin
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2011, 08:28
Gas Bags

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The unfortunate reality with the LAME'less tarmac is that the proof is in the pudding. Over time the pilots stop writing defects up in the tech log throughout the days operation as they know that an engineer is not at hand. (This of course goes without saying that I am referring to anything other than defects that will have an affect on safety of flight).

Bottom line is that the number of items that get written up throughout the day will decrease dramatically over time once the LAME'less tarmac comes into being. Take a snap shot today of the number of tech logs written up during the day at QF and another snapshot 3 years from the introduction of the LAME'less tarmac and I will be vindicated in what I say.

The other unfortunate reality is that the whole world operates a LAME'less tarmac and with the current QF management you would have to say it is inevitable.

I agree with Steve P that the overall numbers of LAME's will not actually be affected to the extent that most would think, but different work practices will cater for the change.

The point of this post is that the LAME'less tarmac is a massive bargaining tool to be used to make a real increase to the pay rates at QF.

The LAME'less tarmac will come to you sooner or later but what you need to do is trade it for a SUBSTANTIAL pay increase when it ultimately becomes the norm.

I will say it again, the pay rates at QF are p!ss poor overall, and the bullsh!t that management have been peddling over the last few years of hard times to keep pay increases below CPI whilst they continue to turn profits with the word Billion attached to them is a complete joke.

QF will pay a second officer 10's of thousands of dollars more than some certifying LAME's with many years of service with the company and that to me is a slap in the face to all of us who have done the study, logging of practical time over many many years, and in more and more cases spent many tens of thousands of dollars training ourselves. Every time you certify an aircraft out with a CRS you are taking the same responsibility for the hundreds of human beings on board in the same way that the captain of the aircraft is when performing their duties.

LAME's are their own worst enemies when it comes to pay rates........We are worth a hell of a lot more than we get paid currently, and I for one dont understand anybody who could be happy with a pay system that will take somewhere around 30 years to get to the measly sum of approximately $140,000 per annum, and that is only if they start as a 21 year old and stay with the same company their whole working life.

You guys are as trapped as the pilots with their seniority system that locks them into the mindset that they cannot leave the company for fear of losing their position on the list, which in turn leaves you at the company's mercy.

Last edited by Gas Bags; 22nd Apr 2011 at 08:41.