PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Qantas to cut flights and jobs"
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2011, 12:27
Oakape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metro man,

There are no public schools in Dubai that expatriot children can attend. Therefore one must use the private school system. You don't get an allowance, so those with no kids get nothing. So schooling isn't necessarily a benefit, but rather something that just allows you to do the job, given that you can't live anywhere else & must educate your kids in Dubai. A benefit perhaps if you have kids & were planning to pay for them to be educated in the private school system back in Oz.

As for medical, true, it is free for the employee. However there is a premium to be paid for family members. This has just been increased. Benefits under the scheme are constantly being adjusted & appointments are so hard to get, that family members now can go outside of the company clinic to other approved doctors. The premiums for family are still very low compared to Oz medical insurance, equating to approx $73 Oz per month. So there is some benefit to be had there.

Transport could be considered a benefit as it saves you running 2 cars. However it could also be considered a safety issue given the hours that pilots are working, with a lot of back of the clock departures & arrivals. Perhaps just something else that enables one to do the job.

Sure you get free dry cleaning of uniform items if you can be bothered dragging them to work to put them in & then back again. Frankly, some guys can't be bothered. Also, I believe that it is a tax deduction in Oz, so perhaps not such a hugh extra benefit, eh? Profit share is at the company's pleasure & by no means guaranteed. It is also very variable. A benefit in the strict sense of the word I guess.

As for the provident fund, don't you have super? And you get to keep the company contributions no matter how long you stay. At EK, you only get to keep them in full after you have been there 5 years or more. By the way, the furniture isn't free unless you stay 5 years or more as well.

Look, I'm not saying that it isn't better. However, how much better depends on an individual's personal situation & on what they would consider a plus or a minus. People have this idea that if you go to Emirates you will be living the high life & rolling in cash. People trying to talk up Emirates will make comment to reinforce that belief & those trying to bad mouth it will make comments to the opposite. All I am saying is that it is not quite what some would have you believe.

The Middle East used to be the place to go to makes lots of money, have some fun & then retire early. As with the rest of the world, things have changed & those days have generally gone.

Last edited by Oakape; 21st Apr 2011 at 18:58.