PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How is it on BA Mixed Fleet, are you enjoying it?
Old 20th Apr 2011, 16:49
finding_nema

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK let me try again: if after 9 months you reach 900 hours on a MF contract, what sort of Ground Duties will you do as per your contract?
Although some people continue to claim it's because of something much more sinister, I still see the ground working clause as a standard industry practice, which is currently in my own contract anyway at my current airline. Certainly it makes sense when there is bad weather, ATC problems, industrial action etc. to have cabin crew on airport standby who would otherwise be in a crew room with no flights departing, out talking to customers, even if it's just chatting in the queue whilst the ground staff themselves are sat physically on the desks rebooking people. I have no idea what happened at BA or the mentality of existing crews, but certainly at my airline during the volcanic ash incident this year, Crewing had to issue an email to all crew saying not to phone in, because that many people wanted to get involved to help our customers or work outside our published roster. Surely this is exactly the kind of corporate culture BA want on their new fleet. The roster you posted, in terms of actual flying duty hours, looks a lot closer to 81 hours, which if you times that by 11 still only adds up to a total of 891 hours, if they were rostered like that every month over 11 months. It's worth considering this was when MF first started more or less, so crew were being worked a lot harder as there were fewer of them. So even if you were that busy, and that's not including standbys, more than single days off, high hours flights where you only operate in one direction, at best, with that rostering, you're going to hit 900 hours in 11 months, and you have 30 days leave, plus an annual recurrent course to attend.