PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beach landing in New York City
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2011, 02:35
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
but it's about time to attach a minimum age requirement to flying. Too many kids up there goofing around.
In Canada we do have minimum age requirements for piloting. My limited knowledge of this event leads me to think that very poor atttude was much more a factor than youth. Though perhaps "professionalizm" has age as a factor, it is more a factor of simple attitude. Thousands of pilots younger than this one have succeeded in excellent careers. Their youth did not prevent their proper training from having the correct effect: Giving enough knowledge to operate an aircraft properly, safely, and and to the limitis of its approved capability, without tempting foolish behaviour beyond safe limits.

I have been associated with some not youthful pilots, who have killed themselves doing foolish, and un-necessary things in planes. Part of my job is to establish where the red lines, and stated limitations should be for some parameters of aircraft. It can be hard to devote the time and text to explain why the limitations to pilots. You have to hope that good training, and a serious attitude will keep everyone safe, when you just don't have the space to explain why not to do that!

As for the two adventurous jet pilots, yeah, that was dumb. But, worse, having what, half an hour, or more? To plan a power off landing, and killing yourself in the attempt? That was the real horror there!

The goof beach pilot should losse the privilage to fly, face a penalty, and repay the costs incurred to return the aircraft to service - from a runway. And all of that should be widely publicised. If it is only the threat of punishment, which deters goof behaviour, at lest something did!