PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 8
Thread: Ryanair - 8
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2011, 17:45
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AGP. My wife had a cabin bag with tiny wheels. Used it for years on many airlines including RYR. At the gate one slip of a girl suggested it would not fit in the template. There wasn't one there, but she decided it was too big and wanted 30euros for the hold. My wife had a plastic carrier bag inside and emptied the wheely bag and stuffed, just, everything into a plastic bag. Left said wheely bag behind, which was worth less than 30euros. Shameful behaviour. And then the snacks bar was almost empty on board. Not the most pleasant experience.
FCO easyjet. After check-in, and before going to the gate, there was a handling agent with a hand baggage frame. If in doubt she checked it and handed out ez OK stickers. At the boarding gate there was another frame and if any doubt the case had to be tried. It took forever to board. People were in panic and nervously swapping stuff between bags, even with strangers. Dunkirk spirit had come to Italy. One Italian lad had a bag where the fixed wheels were 2cm too big to fit. He huffed and he puffed and he broke them off with his foot. Then it fitted. All the pax were horrified at this gestapo ad-herance to petty rules, in Italy of all places.
Air Rage starts on the ground.

Which reminds me; there is an ICAO measurement for hand baggage. Why does RYR, Wizzair and perhaps others have a smaller size on the same type a/c? I've heard it where a pax went one way with ez (ICAO size) and came back with BMI baby (or Jet 2?) which has 5cm smaller in one dimension. Not allowed and they were relieved of 25GBP to put it in the hold. I sometimes fly with a national carrier who shows common sense. 2 pieces in the cabin e.g a cabinbag + laptop/duty free/handbag/umbrella/overcoat/camera + 23kgs hold luggage with a sympathetic tolerance to 2kgs over. Scale error. If you take the real bottom line of their ticket price for a weeks trip with luggage, and the extra leg room, and the free bar, and the free option to catch an earlier flight back (same day as original), and the smile and friendly attitude they are often way cheaper than the so-called LoCo's. And you arrive less stressed. Rules are rules, I know, but come-on.........