PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France jet clips smaller plane at New York's JFK airport
Old 18th Apr 2011, 15:30
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As I have already commented in a previous post, 99% of the people on this forum have absolutely no experience of taxiing a wide-body aircraft around JFK at night (or even by day for that matter).

Like everyone else in ATC at JFK, the Ground Controllers are amongst the busiest human beings on this planet.

The traffic, especially in the rush hours, is so intense that they simply do not have time to have what we who are used to operating at relatively quiet airports such as Heathrow or Gatwick would call a normal conversation.

How can any of you out there expect a Ground Controller at JFK to notice that a regional jet has not quite got on his company stand unless the captain buts in with a warning that he is not exactly where he is supposed to be?

Bear in mind that the Ground Controller simply cannot see the whole airfield even if he had time to look.

Then we can get down to governance.

I had an incident one night at Kennedy which happened on the ramp. The FAA were on my cockpit almost before I had closed the fuel levers, but once the inspector had established that the incident happened after I had left the taxiway and that his Ground Controller was not involved, then it was a matter for the New York Port Authority who controlled all of the terminals and he was off like a rat up a drainpipe!