PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada A319 hits turbulence
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2011, 10:20
mostlylurking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I may make a comment on this issue:
As a frequent long distance traveller I have come to believe that the issue of the seat belt sign could be handled better by crew.
It would help if the crew could give some notice of imminent turbulence when possible.
It is quite annoying to make a dash back to your seat only to find that it is 10 min or more before the first bump. People get used to this delay and factor this into their decision to sit down and belt up.

It sometimes seems to me that the crew forget to turn the sign off.
I have often experienced that the sign goes on, followed by a slight bump and then an absolutely smooth ride for an hour or more with the light still on.
My worst experience was an AF flight across Africa with the light on for close to 3 hours and no turbulence worth mentioning.
To me it is inexplicable, especially when you are sitting there with your legs and eyes crossed.
If there is a good reason for the long duration, it would be helpful for the crew to say so, estimate how long they expect the light to be on and keep us updated – is it so difficult?
As it is I comply, but I’m quite sceptical of the necessity for it being on so long.

I have no idea how the crew predict CAT, other that from weather predictions or seeing bad weather below, so these comments are made in ignorance. Maybe someone can educate me?

Last edited by mostlylurking; 18th Apr 2011 at 10:21. Reason: spelling