PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France jet clips smaller plane at New York's JFK airport
Old 18th Apr 2011, 07:50
Annex14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
too much !!!

There have been 3 posts that I consider solid and helpful in the case, too many in my opinion bear a fowl taste of patriotism and protectionism.
Those three post I think are helpful were TurboDAWG #145, lomapaseo #246 and Loose Rivets # 278.
Not much to add, but few facts, taken from ICAO Annex 14, charts and Google Earth aerials.

TWY "A" and "B" width less than 25 m - ICAO recommendation for Cat. "F" type aircraft not fullfiled.

Safety distance TWY "A" -centreline to objects min. 57,5 m - ICAO recommendation for Cat "F" type aircraft not fulfilled ( here I consider the service road and the cars using it as "object")

Safety distance centreline TWY "A" and "B" - min 97,5 m ICAO recommendation for CAT "F" type aircraft not fulfilled.

Notwithstanding these known shortcomings the FAA and the Port Authority of New York has certified KJFK for A 380 operations.

Finally, if a taxi clearance is issued it must be assured the intended taxi path is clear and safe to be used by the recipient of that clearance. Once a clearance is issued the conduct of that motion has to be monitored closely, especial in known difficult conditions.

As was posted before: that is why there is Ground Control and what those in charge get payed for.
Jo

Last edited by Annex14; 18th Apr 2011 at 08:22.