PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fakers, fakers everywhere!
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2011, 09:59
A37575

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thread is drifting... to a major degree.
Ye Gods - you are right. But stories about fakers are so depressing so bear with one more story..

In another life I was a RAAF instructor on Tiger Moths, Wirraways and then the new trainer the Winjeel (similar in looks to the Provost).

There was some concern that students going directly to Winjeels as their first elementary type would have trouble coping as it was a different beast to ye olde Tiger Moth the current trainer.

To our surprise students still went solo after 8-10 hours of dual instruction -same as the Tiger Moth. Yet clearly the Winjeel was more complex in systems.
The RAAF CFS taught a standard pre-take off check which applied to all types from Dakota to Mustang-obviously with minor variations here and there.
Fast forward to present day in most Australian flying schools where the average time to first solo seems to be around 15-25 hours. But that's another story.

Again in Australia the Winjeels are called "War Birds" although I don't remember the Winjeel ever going to war. I saw one a few months ago and asked the owner if I could sit in the cockpit. It was quite familiar. Except for a vast roller-blind paper checklist stuck on the coaming. Fascinated, I scrolled through no less than 137 items of which the first item was "Gooday" Ah! - so Aussie in character. There were over 100 scrolled items to wind through before airborne. Unbelievable. The last item on the checklist was "Don't forget to lock the canopy".

Last edited by A37575; 17th Apr 2011 at 10:19.