PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France jet clips smaller plane at New York's JFK airport
Old 16th Apr 2011, 21:31
bubbers44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe JFK should be closed for all A380 flights that taxi at high speed without knowledge of their wingspan. Up until now JFK has not had any abnormal problems with jets running into each other. Just close US airports to the A380 until they can resolve their problem. It isn't ours, we don't build any jets with a wing span our airports can't handle. It isn't our job to adapt to what other people want to fly. Let them pay for the separation of taxiways. This incident involved a smaller jet on the ramp, not a taxiway.

The FAA and US ATC had little to do with this incident. The PIC should have known his wingtip clearance and avoided the collision.

I have always known mine and after 23,000 hrs never clipped a wing. It isn't that hard.

Dumbing down taxiing to a beam of light off a wingtip coincides with automation to make flying so simple a caveman could do it but it looks like it is going that way so why not. I'm so glad I'm retired.