PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France jet clips smaller plane at New York's JFK airport
Old 16th Apr 2011, 20:42
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Now you're just being silly.

Well, sarcasm is often called irony on PpruNe, I don't know why, I was intending to be plain sarcastic.

We have OPS manual SOPs that make it quite clear where the buck stops, and we have blanket legislation substantiating the logic of these SOPs. Yet, we blithely allow skippers into situations which require them to maneuver in difficult circumstances. Occasionally, very difficult circumstances. Oh, but don't worry, someone will help by writing something like:

ii. Pilots are reminded of the need to exercise caution on wingtip clearances from other aircraft when manoeuvring in close proximity on the
ground. Particular care should be taken in the runway holding areas and at runway crossing points.
I think this is a contender for the most mind-numbingly banal statement ever to be put in any aviation manual, but there, that's just me again.

I recall one skipper in the early days of jet transport who likened being a pilot to - something like - traversing a gorge on a tightrope with crocodiles snapping from below. Funny the things that stick in one's mind, but he was right. He also taxied more slowly than anyone I've met before or since.

I was never quite sure if he instilled confidence, or radiated a lack of the same.

20,000 hours in a log book seems to be no protection from that transition from being a respected and incident-free aircrew member, to feeling that first shudder through the airframe. Horrific. My heart really goes out to this guy.

I think this forum should be about brainstorming in general, so incidents like this can be--all but--eliminated, and one thing that's coming out of this to me, is that pilots will be put in ever increasing danger of falling into traps set by others, then being told they are responsible.

As I've said, my gut feeling is that in this case he may have looked away and therefore culpable, but as a general rule, I don't think a blanket refusal of any form of responsibility by the airport/ATC authorities helps long term flight safety, or the industry as a whole.