PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fakers, fakers everywhere!
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2011, 15:16
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think there may be a degree of misunderstanding here. Different types of operation have different emphases - we should not deride one or the other. In order to go through the secondary school of scan flows on a Cessna, it is vital to go through the primary school of aircraft checklist discipline. For any of you that have flown in a military fast jet or similar, you will know a considerable emphasis is put on checklist knowledge and memorisation. The civil airline world, for very good reasons, has chosen not to do that and rigid checklist adherence is considered a virtue. It is not necessarily helpful to get into a discussion as to who is right and who is wrong - it is, however, vital to embrace the practices that prevail in whatever field of aviation you are in. I am now a civil pilot and have fully taken aboard the requirement for use of checklists - any deviation from that would rightly be regarded as an unwarranted departure from SOPs and would inevitably unnerve my flight deck colleagues. There is an important discipline in being able to use the QRHs, checklists etc on a commercial jet airliner - it is a skill that must be embraced if you are to be considered a professional in that world. That does not mean that scan flows/memorisation etc do not have their place - it does mean that is simply not how the commercial world works.