PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 8
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 8
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2011, 08:23
Kev 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jamesair, just a quick note on the routes there. Sharm-el-Sheikh (TOM B738 x 2 & TCX B752) and Monastir (replaced by Enfidha - TOM B738 & TCX B752) still remain as routes per say.

I have just checked on two of the figures mentioned on the CAA website and found the below:

Arrecife 8,196 +64% (2,022 scheduled - up on 1,667 previous)
Murcia 3,174 +6% (3,054 scheduled - up marginally on 2,998 previous)

I think one of the big factors in the drop again (mainly to IT/Holiday destinations) is due to the reduction from Easyjet versus last year (5 x A319 down to 3 x A319). Jet2 have taken up some routes and provided additional capacity, but the bulk of this is not available until the end of April/early May - so hopefully we will see a reduced loss from this period.

Also of note is that TCX are running a number of flights over easter which were not available at this time last year (extra B753 based for the next two weeks or so), which should help the figures a bit. This is on top of the extra B752 based all Summer from them versus last year.

One thing which is apparant, is that there has not been a new route announcement for quite some time now (believe Oslo Rygge was the last one from Ryanair - correct me if I am wrong) - guess this is a sign of the times at the moment (TCX to Hurghada has now been cancelled for the Summer it seems).

Edit: Good Friday 2010 was on 2nd April, so the schools would have been on holiday here from Friday 26th March - this would have had a positive impact on pax figures last year, which will benefit the airport this year in the April figures (here is hoping anyway).