PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - World is changing will QR change ?
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2011, 23:11
chainsaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Let me say right at the outset, I'm no fan of QR, but things need to be put into their correct perspective here.

loc22550, you seem to demur about whether Akbar has been successful.

Successful

— adj

1. having succeeded in one's endeavours
2. marked by a favourable outcome
3. having obtained fame, wealth, etc
I guess it depends on which metrics you use to come up with an answer to that loc22550.

Let's consider growth/expansion of the airline vs. staff turnover metrics.

An average 30% per annum growth since 1997 for the airline, presently ranked amongst the top 10 airlines by Skytrax, with it being classed as a 5 star airline vs. EK as a four star airline, 100 destinations, and a present fleet 95 aircraft, with 182 on order (sure, a lot of the present 95 will be replaced by the aircraft on order).

In 2005 QR had 42 aircraft and 56 destinations (Strategic Direction - The Airline Industry Volume 22 Numer 6 2006).

Fourteen years ago loc22550, when Akbar took over as the ringmaster of circus QR, the airline had 2 B747-100's, a clapped-out B747SP that was sold to the Foreign Minister (and which resulted in an absolute debacle at the time), 4 B727's, and two A300-600's. There were then about 15 destinations. Athens and Istanbul had previously been destinations, but they were cancelled in 1996 I think (?).

So, by the measures of succeeding in his endeavours to make the airline grow, which has clearly resulted in a favourable outcome for QR (in terms of its Skytrax ranking), and Akbar's award of 2005 Airline Personality of the Year Award at the 12th World Travel Awards, then you'd have to say that Akbar has been successful.

However, from the ongoing posts here on PPRuNe concerning QR staff 'disengagement', and from your alleged staff turnover figures, then 'yes', I'd agree with you that Akbar has been unsuccessful in the field of HR management.

But as mentioned in my previous post, Akbar simply doesn't need to worry about staff 'engagement' or 'disengagement' matters.

I'm not saying if you don't like it leave loc22550, as seems to be the usual GCC response to expatriates if they express disatisfaction, but the impression I get is that your bucket of **** seems to be heavier than your bucket of money, so I have to ask why you bother to keep on keeping on at QR (if that's actually where you are)?

There's lots of jobs elsewhere these days if you care to look, particularly if you've got A330 or B777 time.