PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 15th Apr 2011, 19:03
jetset lady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Litebulbs

Ok, you have said that you want this dispute settled. How do you want it settled?

And there lies the million dollar question!

I've thought and thought about this and I'm still not sure what the answer is. Contrary to certain opinions and like Juan Tugho, I do not want to see individual union members punished. I have no problem with staff travel being returned in full or with arbitration for those that have been suspended or dismissed. But I do think BA need to call a halt to this sooner rather that later and I do think the Union officials need to be taken to task. As has already been said, their behaviour has been immature at best and downright vile at worst. They have been caught out telling half truths and outright lies. Surely they must have a legal responsibility to represent and guide their members with honesty and integrity.

But back to the subject in hand, the 28 day extension has been given. I disagree with that but that's neither here nor there. It is happening. I think BA need to make it very clear that this really is the last chance saloon. If no agreement is reached, or if an agreement is reached but the BASSA or Amicus leadership refuse to sanction it, then they follow the apparent wishes of their membership and they set the dates and strike. Any attempt to fudge issues with further ballots should be legally challenged immediately. No questions, no explanations.

If, on the other hand, agreement is reached and accepted by all parties, then all is good and well but to stop this never ending cycle, I think that a thorough outside investigation needs to take place into some of the questionable union rules and the antics of various union officials during this dispute. The results need to be completely transparent and available for all to see and if necessary, sanctions taken. At the very least, I feel the union have failed in their duty to look after their members interests by failing to provide them with all the information needed to make a fully informed decision. If all that happens, then possibly a good solid union can grow from this mess. If not, same time, same place next year....?

(Apologies for rambling. I'm still eagerly awaiting the computer that can read my mind and turn what's rattling around in my brain into something resembling sense when viewed in the written form!)

Last edited by jetset lady; 15th Apr 2011 at 20:21.