PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 15th Apr 2011, 12:47
Yellow Pen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BG
To achieve such a peace, it is understood by British Airways that cabin crew must feel that their concerns are being fairly dealt with, and it is recognised by the union that that the management and acceptance of change is the key to lasting peace.
However WW and BF were saying the same thing months ago. BF has bent over backwards to try to deal with the concerns of existing crew. The barrier in all this has not been WW (you'll recall he struck a deal with TW) but BASSAs demonising of WW. BASSA simply could not countenance any deal with Walsh short of a complete capitulation by BA. KW isn't doing anything differently from WW but the simple fact that he is a new face provides BASSA with an opportunity for a climb down, one which I suspect is likely to be enforced soon!

Originally Posted by Litebulbs
More and more employees will start to see that the job is not a way of life, but where you come in, do your bit, then go home and you will see more of that when the workforce becomes more transient.
The problem now is that we have lots of crew who do simply come in, do their bit (grudgingly) then go home but they're are on legacy T&Cs. It really isn't as simple as correlating pay to commitment.

There will be no mutually beneficial need for the business to succeed or fail, as there will be plenty of other jobs out there paying the same salary, either market rate or minimum wage. Obviously this gives a huge saving in labour cost, but what will be interesting to see, is if the product varies over time. I have my views on what I see when I compare scheduled to charter and loco's as a passenger, but I very rarely fly in anything other than the main cabin.
Do you fly Thomson much? I've been doing a fair bit with them recently and have been very impressed with their standards. The service levels exceed that which I've been accustomed to in BAs economy cabins and I've no doubt given the opportunity they could give out existing crew a run for their money in the premium cabins too.