PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I get a Frozen ATPL?
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2002, 07:44
PAflyboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I get a Frozen ATPL?

Fellow Pilots:

I am a dual citizen (U.S. and Italy) with an F.A.A. CPL with Instrument and Multi Engine ratings, and a 4-year university degree. I am currently flight instructing to gain time for the airlines.

Very recently, I started to inquire about getting the JAA Frozen ATPL, for which I am now elegible. To sit all exams and take all flight tests (including the 15-hour IR to be done in the U.K.)it would set me back roughly $10,000 to $13,000.

I am wondering if this would be worth doing, given the current state of things. How is the current market in Europe? Are most companies still hiring? If so, does anyone know of the average hours people are actually getting in with? I read the webpage a few posts down from this one. It was very informative as to published minima. The market obviously stinks here! It is too saturated for a lil' ol' 850-hour pilot like myself. Regionals here are hiring with at least 1500 hours on average.

I hear that an internal recommendation is very important in Europe... even moreso than in the U.S. (and here it's pretty darn important). Any comments?

In short.... what do you think my chances would be?

Any advice would be appreciated!