PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another fine (DHE) mess........
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2002, 09:39
thom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydraulic Palm Tree

Excellent response. Your paying for this 'service' so demand a 'service'. There is one thing I have learned since coming back in to civvie street is that I don't take any **** from anyone I purchase from, or use the services of. God, I have lived in some 'dives', especially in Germany, and to think, I never once complained, in fact I was always 'humble' when asking for something to be fixed or put right, such is the culture of the forces, 'Don't complain, you'll make it worse for yourself'. I can still remember being chastised by some housing person because I dared to complain about the damp in my bathroom. His answer was that I should leave the window open all the time to let the bathroom 'breath'. In the middle of a German winter ??? On leaving the forces, my first rent on a flat was £350 a month. At first I adopted the humble approach to problems with plumbing, the roof and the garden. Then I realised, 'I'M PAYING FOR THIS !'. The landlord was flooded with phones call and letters, requests and threats of non-payment if work was not forthcoming..... and it worked.

Still, it makes me angry to know that some service personnel live in sub-standard accommodation. You can argue the point that if they don't like it they could always go private or whatever, but a service is provided in the renting of MQ's, so (and even though it is considerable cheaper then civvie accommodation), my point is, your paying with your hard earned money for something, so expect and demand all that is required to bring that accommodation up to a standard worth living in ! If that doesn't work, get your free hour with a solicitor. My friend did just that because of a damp bedroom which she complained about for years. She received a four figure pay out for her health and ruined clothes !!