PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Virgin Blue EBA Poll
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2002, 00:46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excuse me if I'm wrong guys but when you sign up for a no-frills airline doesn't that include no-frills pay as far as Rick Branson is concerned??

I remember at the start-up of VB guys were talking of foregoing pay for the lifestyle that Brisbane had to offer and the chance to get back to Oz for some others.

I believe that you guys are woefully underpaid and deserve more for the numerous days you work and VB's inability to roster you all more effectively, but then again I dont pay the wages or organise such things.

I remember years ago when a very senior member of VB management in the Flt Dept was very vocal in the late eighties about a proposed pay-rise.
I wonder whether this person is still a card-carrying member of the AFAP and how has his reaction been to this EBA?

Which gets me wondering.
Imagine its 1989 and the incumbent TAA and Ansett have been told that deregulation is just around the corner.
The AFAP hears that a British Millionare is going to start an airline, pay pilots some 30-40% less than the acceptable AFAP approved current award rate.
How would the current VB Flight Dept and others who were around then have reacted to that thought in 1989?????????????????????

Sort of makes you seriously wonder.

Lets face it, times will be tougher in the future.
Richard Branson doesnt want to give an effective pay rise and if you guys want to fight Chris Corrigan then remember how he effectively played a major part in the waterfront reform and his blatant use of non-union $cab labour.

They know they dont have to give a worthy pay-rise and these guys will fight tooth and nail to prevent doing so.
So much for treating loyal staff and paying them what they're worth and/or listening to them when it comes to an EBA hearing and vote.