PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France jet clips smaller plane at New York's JFK airport
Old 14th Apr 2011, 16:38
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well; I suppose having already made one contribution to this thread about an experience that I had at JFK when a PanAm 747 chopped the tail off a Renown Nord 262, I had better comment upon the (mostly) rubbish that is being posted on this forum.

I can confidently state that 99% of the heretics on this forum have never ever tried to taxi a wide-bodied airliner around JFK in either seat.

I have been particularly amused at "aviatorhi's" postings which tells us exactly how he would deal with JFK Ground's taxi instructions.

As those of us who actually do (did) these things, the instructions after landing is "next right, hold short 22R, Ground Point 9".

That means "Contact JFK Ground 121.9"

You are then going to get "Left Outer, Juliet, Right Inner Foxtrot, IAB".

That's it.

The guy is so busy that he does not have time to discuss the matter.

JFK is the biggest zoological garden in the world. I was based there as a DC-10 captain for three years.

Someone made the comment to the holier-than-thou guy from LGW (who told us all that all we had to do was follow "the green lights" on the taxiway). As someone pointed out, not only does JFK not have centreline lighting, but the yellow centreline painted lines are "difficult to see in the wet".

You want to try it in the snow my friend!

So what else do I want to have a rant about?

The idiots who cannot understand why we don't know where our wingtips are + or - five feet.

I never flew the 747 but I did fly the DC-10-10 and the DC-10-30.

It was impossible to see the wingtips of the DC-10-10 from the cockpit. It was "just possible" to see the wingtips of the DC-10-30 from the cockpit. I can confidently state that any of you out there who can judge within 10 feet of where your wingtip actually is could possibly be headed for an expensive surprise.

If you don't believe me and have never tried it before, I will tell you a story. I have now retired from professional flying and I bought myself a little PA-28. I loaned it to a B744 captain from a pretty famous airline and he managed to hit a fence-post with the right wing tip and caused £3000 of damage to my aircraft!