PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France jet clips smaller plane at New York's JFK airport
Old 13th Apr 2011, 22:53
aviatorhi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To all those assisning "blame already: who is to blame if ATC sends 2 aircraft too wide for each other down opposite taxiways?

1) PIC of aircraft one for not keeping track of his wingtips.
2) PIC of aircraft two for not keeping track of his wingtips.
3) ATC for not assigning appropriate taxiways.

The point is that you can find multiple causes of each accident, it's not solely the AF crews fault, it's not solely the Comair crews faul, it's not solely ATC etc. etc. It's a combination.

This isn't the first time a plane taxiing out hit the tail of another plane. Just the first time it got caught on tape really, really well. Speed was not an issue, and usually never is, unlike some people would like you to think. What was an issue was the failure of the Comair crew to clear a taxiway when entering the ramp holding area and the AF captain to keep track of where his wingtips were. I've read some incredible nonsense here the last few days of people talking about hiring special personell to taxi aircraft in, collision monitoring and so on. The reality is that given enough opportunity Murphy will prevail and make the best laid plans (complete with every so called safety system in place) fall apart. I've had to park myself plenty of times without ramp crews available and/or missing. The fact that Comair appears to have a policy of restraining flight crews and handcuffing them to nonsense like this hold on arrival while waiting for ramp personell is absolutley crazy to me.