PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France jet clips smaller plane at New York's JFK airport
Old 13th Apr 2011, 15:52
SKS777FLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't read thru this whole cackling hens thread, but notice much mention that a 380 Captain or copilot can NOT see the wingtips when seated in the cockpit. I could not see the wingtips either as I recall from the left or right seat of a 777, 767, 757 and I don't think I could from a DC10 a 727 or Super 80.
If any of you pilots would like a simple (but takes a little time/effort) method of learning where your invisible wingtips are...... go out on the ramp and grab a few of those orange plastic traffic cones that are all over ramps. Put a cone directly under the left wingtip. Walk forward parallel to the fuselage and place another cone abeam the cockpit. Move forward, again paralell to the fuselage perhaps 1/2 aircraft length and place another cone on the tarmac. Climb aboard your aircraft, get in the left seat an adjust the seat exactly as you would for flight. Now turn your head left (don't lean or bend body just swivel head) and note where the orange cone is in your left window. MEMORIZE THAT SPOT mark it with a grease pencil or use an identifiable part of a window frame whatever. Look ahead and to the left at the cone placed ahead of the aircraft. Where does that cone appear on your glareshield??? You now KNOW where your left wingtip is going to be in the future when the aircraft moves straight ahead. You can, and should do the same for the right wingtip using "landmarks" on the windows of the right side of the cockpit. Have your co-pilots do this same exercise, because they are also on scene when metal is bent and probably would like to know where the wingtips are as well.

I liked to move the cone ahead of the aircraft on the left to the spot where the cone was in the left corner of the glareshield and the left windshield vertical post of the 77, 75 and 76.

This method will give you an inner peace (just try it)); knowing where your wingtips are while taxiing about various airports on the planet; at least during those times you are going straight.
You can also look ahead of you when directly behind like aircraft on a taxiway and see where their wingtips are in "landmarks" on your windows.

The technique was very helpful as a CKA when riding around with a new Captain who had no clue about his/her wingtip location. Showed 'em the cone technique during the first walk around check.