PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France jet clips smaller plane at New York's JFK airport
Old 13th Apr 2011, 12:32
hoppy906

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoppy906....... Yeah all good but read the top right paragraph of page 7 again please.

"when taxiing responsibility for avoiding other aircraft lies with the flight crew of an Aircraft"
Trust me, we all hear you blaming the PIC. It's great that you know who caused the accident, and thanks for telling us, time and time again, but I doubt this information will be, on it's own, of any use in preventing the next ground collision. No matter how many times you repeat it.

Instead, there will be a body of people who are more interested in discovering and learning from all the mistakes in this incident and trying to prevent future accidents. They are the same people, who over the years have developed the safety of air transport to it's current level.

Not one of these people will say: "The pilot is to blame. End of story". Not one of them will compare taxying an A380 to driving a car!

Thank goodness.

It seems to me, that if you want to prevent ground collisions, then you cannot rely on a single person, sitting up front, with limited visibility to do it on his own. He's human, he's under pressure, and he's fallible. He always will be fallible. And so will you. And so will I.

If you read the report I linked to, which relates to an incident at Heathrow, you'll see that they operate a "block" system similar to the way railways protect sections of line. However, unlike, railways, there is no guaranteed protection at the rear.

Why not?

There is so much scope here for a solution. Aircraft know their position in space, and indeed they have the ability to transmit it - Mode S for example. Given that Mode S is used in ACAS, it shouldn't really be that much more of a step forward to implement something that would work on the ground too.

It'll happen eventually. I'm sure.

Then we won't be able to shout "It's your fault" at the PIC so often.