PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France jet clips smaller plane at New York's JFK airport
Old 13th Apr 2011, 11:41
flynerd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prevention, not retribution

@AlphaRomeoZulu

I have no idea of the difficulty of taxiing a liner, let alone a super. I rely on suninmyeyes' post (#67) here, which seems balanced to my untrained eyes.
Perhaps A380s should have another level of PIC for taxi, as ships do in port. That would create a LOT of new jobs
What about a "don't leave the taxiway if you're not going to make it to the gate" rule, for example ?
Well, at JFK you NEED to get in line for TO as soon as possible. Lots of AC and fewer slots. The trend at JFK is to hurry up and get in line. I know, I once experienced a TO delayed by 50+ minutes cause we had to return to gate to add fuel (Alitalia) after waiting in line too long.

What about aids for the crew of the A380, adressing the need to see your own wingtips in a crowded environnement ?
Valid comment. In todays hi-tech environment, some basic collision avoidance warning would have paid dividends.

And I now agree with several other posters that we need to skip looking for a blame target(s) and get back to preventing any re-occurence. Those A380s are big MFs. This could have happened almost anywhere.

FN