PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was the Nomad really that bad?
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2011, 10:49
VH-XXX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone asked a while back what did the NSCA use the Nomads for?

As far as I recall mainly for parachuting, but of course for equipment transport, medical team transport and general duties. They were especially good at arriving at night, picking things up and dropping things off with the utmost of secrecy. Not even the security guard knew what was going on (so he told me years afterwards).

Was on-board their sail-training yacht the Peterson 44 off Wilsons Prom a long time ago. We had parachute teams dropped from the Nomad, land next to the (disabled) vessel, swim over, board unassisted, take control and sail the vessel back to Port Welshpool.

On some days, they jumped, swam to the yacht, took control, got picked up by another boat, motored to shore, picked up by helicopter, flown to airport, dropped by Nomad and the cycle starts again, over and over until they were buggered.

The fire-sale auction when it all wound up was interesting. Every bit of military but not military style equipment you imagine, including scuba re-breathers and other goodies. I wonder what happened to their Nomads.

I came across a car crash shortly after in Gippsland many years ago. Just as it happened an NSCA truck was driving past. He radioed a passing NSCA chopper with Para-Medical team on-board. The chopper landed and the crew of a few with all their gear straddled the barbwire fence like it was a foot high. These guys appeared to be amazing at what they did and had the highest level of fitness. It's always interesting to hear where these guys ended up.