PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France jet clips smaller plane at New York's JFK airport
Old 12th Apr 2011, 23:25
givemewings

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THis is a bit of a 'what if' here, but... I have noticed that when disembarking a full A380, that once the pax & baggage is off, that the jetway is usually now lower by perhaps a foot or more.

Would a not so fully loaded flight have made any difference as to whether the collision would have happened? Looks from the video like they hit the CRJ quite close to the top of the tail fin...

I know it's not really important as they shouldn't be passing that close but it did make me wonder, what is the height difference between an empty A380 parked at the gate & one fully fuelled, bums on every seat & cargo holds full.. is there a given figure for this for different ranges of weights (I know it would vary depending on all of these items), is it something that you consider as well as all the other factors in load control etc??

I guess how high you're sitting is not so important but the comment about the height of the 380 cockpit made me wonder if being fully loaded would change the perspective at all, even if only a little bit. Could be a factor also? (I recall reading they kept it a common height with other Airbus family widebodies, is that true?)

(For those who will ask what is my exp, CC with a background in aviation ground ops, 5yrs flying & have worked on the 380)